BLOG

Everything About Corn

Sep 30, 2022

LIVING IN THE MIDWEST, WE ARE SURROUNDED BY CORN. IT IS THE VEGETABLE OF THE MASSES AND HAS SO MANY UNIQUE USES AND PROPERTIES. LET’S DIVE INTO A LITTLE MORE ABOUT OUR BELOVED CORN.

Growing Corn

Corn can be grown on every continent in the world except Antarctica. Only 1% of the corn grown in the United States is Sweet Corn. The remaining 99% is Field Corn. Field Corn is used to feed animals while sweet corn is what you eat right off the cob in the summertime.

 

How Much Corn is There?

One ear of corn has about 800 individual kernels and 16 rows. The amount of space needed to plant one acre of corn is about the size of a football field.

Fiber Filled

Corn is a fiber-rich vegetable which means it is great for your tummy. Our guts love fiber. Corn works as a prebiotic that helps the good bacteria in our bodies do their jobs better!

Corn Has Many Colors

Did you know that you can have purple, blue, yellow and white corn? Each of these varieties of corn has specific powers. But the darkest colored corn has phytonutrients which carry extra nutrients to your body.

Project Rooted :: Connecting kids to real food from the ground up. Dubuque, Iowa.

by Project Rooted

The team behind the dream.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Simple Black Bean Soup

Simple Black Bean Soup

Soup season might be my favorite season. The warming effect that fills your entire body. The aromatic sensation that wafts through your home. But also the fact that soup can be so simple. This black bean soup is just 8 ingredients and can be thrown together in less...

Everything About Apples

Everything About Apples

FALL IS OUR FAVORITE SEASON BECAUSE APPLES ARE SO ACCESSIBLE. WITH A SEEMINGLY ENDLESS SUPPLY OF APPLES, YOU CAN HAVE AN APPLE EVERY DAY AND FUEL YOUR BODY RIGHT FOR THE ADVENTURE AHEAD. Apples in Every Color Apples come in a variety of colors. Shades of red, green,...

Your Food. Your Responsibility.

Your Food. Your Responsibility.

We find great joy and independence in being able to fuel our own bodies. Making the choices of what veggies to eat, what to pack for lunch or the simple decisions of what to buy at the grocery store. But why should you as a kid take responsibility for your food? When...